Angelo Fiordelisi (Deflories)
By Alice Vollaro July 1990
Angelo, who had an easy-going manner
was from Avellino, Italy and according to Castle Garden records he
arrived here, August 22, 1892. He had a brother with red hair, who
was a soldier in Italy and he died young.
Angelo and his wife, Adeline, lived on
Division Street, in Manhatten after they were married in Italy. He
went back to Italy to marry after coming to the U.S. They eventually
moved to Hornel, NY in about 1903 or 1904.
Angelo was a lady's tailor and his
office was in a room off of their house on 259 Main St., Hornell, NY
with a separate entrance. They moved to this residence in 1908.
Mary remembers a low table where the ladies would stand and have
alterations done. There was a three way mirror and a banjo clock in
the room. He also did alterations for men and he complained that the
women were fickle! Mary liked to come into the shop after school and
When Angelo opened his shop in Hornell,
NY, the man who came to paint the name on the door said that the town
was prejudiced against Italians. He offered to paint the name
DeFlories on the door instead of Fiordellisi. Angelo began using
the name De Flories. His brother-n-law, Louis Aschettini, witnessed
an affidavit, stating Angelo was changing his family name.
In about 1920 the family moved to 21st
Angelo first cousin was Dr. Peluso, who
lived on Homecrest Ave, Brooklyn, NY in the 1970s. This would mean
there was possibly at least one more brother or sister who came to
this country, or one of the children of his brother or another sister
in Italy came to the U.S.